Thursday, July 26, 2007

Why Nietzsche Makes Me Uncomfortable

The way in which Nietzsche makes me uncomfortable is completely unintended, or, rather, a consequence of the way he writes: issues such as duty are brought up but one is unsure of what eh believes its value to be. For me, it puts me in the position of opportunity: to have the strength to put down the book and think for myself. I often find myself dissapointed in my inability to see the rich fullness of what he is expressing. The other thing Nietzsche does, which, on the other hand, is not admirable is how he uses tiny pieces of art to fit his needs without giving an accurate representation of what the piece was about (Deleuze followed and called it virtuous). It is the fragmented nature of art, so as to bring out its best (or most useful) parts. The whole issue of my inability to see the rich fullness of what he is expressing has made itself more obvious when I was writing poetry: that so much goes into so little, that one must understand all the facets of the poetic reality. This means that the poet's personality will become much more obvious to the reader so long as the reader has done a bit of poetry himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment