Friday, November 16, 2007

Space Mountain

Space Mountain is the best ride at Disneyland, and the first attraction I decided to experience. It would end up being a horrible start to the nightmare that is Disneyland at age 20.
ME: "I heard a rumor, that Red Hot Chili Peppers did the score for this attraction?"
ATTENDANT: "Oh, that was last year, we went back to the original music."
ME (ASIDE): "Listening to the opinion of the masses will get you in trouble with me."
My great friends from rehab left me in the dust so I had to run up the walkway, around the fat people who waddle like penguins, but still seem to find the will to return to Disneyland all the time. It's as if they feel more comfortable wallowing in their indulgences when everyone else is doing it. Not as if, it's a certainty. If anything is certain it is that fat parents create fat kids. Apples only fall (relatively) far from the tree if the tree is small (in a metaphorical and literal sense).
We enter the control room and on the main screen is a camera shot spinning in space, so that the stars become more dizzying than clear. Throw in a few planet shots to show contrast and you've got yourself something! It's not planet Earth but its round and floating in space.
We load in the "rocket," a name I had found out only due to dreadful circumstances, and leave the docking bay. Ten feet away from the launching pad we stop. The controller sitting at her computer turns on the microphone and announces over the loudspeaker that there is a problem with the ride. The entire time we are stuck I am watching a party slowly develop in the control room.
The party, composed of firemen (the generic emergency response team), line mediators, and the people who say "thank you for riding Space Mountain enjoy the rest of your day," has filled the room to the brim, and must make room for more, or so it seems. Their being behind a pane of glass doesn't keep me from noticing that there are very serious glances being shared between the operators. They must have encountered this before, but at the same time look like they are doing their best. Sometimes trying to look like you're doing your best can cause panic among a populace, if they infer that you are not in control.
The situation at hand did not scare me, what scared me was the relationship between me and the people in charge. If this experience ends up having significance in my life, or will be repeated, it will be when the doctors are examining me and realizing there is no help to be given. I will see them walk into the other room, and get up from my bed and look through the keyhole and listen with my best ears, wanting to know anything, no matter how horrible. I must prepare myself before experiencing something. Knowing the Boy Scouts motto is a good thing, not overkill. Knowing that no matter what I do there is nothing I can change here gives me the overwhelming feeling to change that which I can.
Hushed glances, a chance to be in power
The more seriously you take me...
Panic is in a reciprocal relationship with relief
Not as always, but one cannot be without the other
Walking down the hall, I'd rather be you
You're the one to deliver the bad news?
No one expects anything of you
Responsibility is reliance
You're with me in the separation
The similarities breed certainty
Essential lack can be shared

No comments:

Post a Comment